Scott M. Perry
Practice Areas: Medical Malpractice, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death, Product Liability
Direct Office Line: (703) 291-6651
Email Address: email@example.com
Before joining Breit Biniazan, accomplished trial lawyer Scott Perry served as a founding partner of Perry Charnoff, PLLC.
Perry knows that it’s not just luck, but skill that gets personal injury lawyers the best result. He strives to surround himself with like-minded attorneys who enjoy the challenge of pushing the status quo and raising the bar for trial practice, which is why he joined forces with Breit Biniazan. Perry, who has a history of creating change in his community, strives to leverage this partnership to make an even greater impact for his clients and the communities he serves.
Several years ago, Scott represented a family in a devastating case involving a drowning on the Potomac River. The victim, an 18-year-old Filipino immigrant, became a rowing coach while on summer break from his Ivy League university. Unfortunately, one beautiful day, the victim was thrown from the launch and tragically drowned—despite being a strong swimmer.
When Perry looked into the case further, he discovered that the sport of rowing in the U.S. fell well behind its European counterparts when it came to safety. Coaches in other countries are required to wear special life vests and safety lanyards—and he successfully argued that safety measures like these could have prevented this tragedy. Perry’s represented families in several other sporting injury and wrongful death cases since then.
While at Perry Charnoff, Scott’s unique litigation approach led to multiple multi-million-dollar verdicts and settlements, including:
- A $35.6 million jury verdict for a catastrophically injured client
- A $12 million medical malpractice jury verdict for a family who lost a 39-year-old wife and mother due to an undiagnosed blood clot
- A $4.5 million sexual abuse lawsuit involving two special-needs adults who were raped and impregnated by a workshop employee
- A $3.0 million medical malpractice verdict for the family of a lawyer whose heart was punctured during a minor procedure
- A $2.0 million medical malpractice jury verdict for a woman whose leg was amputated when a blood clot went undiagnosed
- A $1.55 million medical malpractice verdict for a federal worker whose ureter was sewed shut during a hysterectomy
- A $1.50 million premises liability lawsuit for the family of a child who drowned in a pool
Helping the Davids Stand Up to the Goliaths
Perry believes that trial lawyers and the jury system help level the playing field between well-funded parties and those with fewer economic resources. It’s a David and Goliath challenge between injured plaintiffs and the biggest, most well-financed firms in the U.S.—and these firms fight like mad.
With Scott’s broad experience in personal injury litigation, he levels this playing field expertly. And his philosophy of preparing each and every case as if it’s going to trial forces defendants with deep pockets to sit up and take notice.
Over the last 20 years, Perry has been consistently nominated as a Washington, D.C.-area “Super Lawyer,” honored in Virginia Lawyers Weekly, and (in 2019) named Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year. Each of these honors recognizes Perry’s unsurpassed ability to recover damages on behalf of his clients.
Not everyone realizes that, just like doctors, lawyers can become board-certified in certain areas of practice. Perry recently underwent an extensive process to become a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer, demonstrating his proficiency in this area of law.
Most recently, Scott was selected as a member of the invite-only Inner Circle of Advocates, which limits its members to the top 100 plaintiff trial lawyers in the country. He is one of only two Virginia attorneys selected to the Inner Circle, with the other member being his Partner, Jeffrey Breit. Both completed a rigorous vetting process requiring a review of verdicts and settlements, trial skills, commitment to the community, and general collegiality.
Representing Families After a Devastating Loss
Perry focuses his practice on catastrophic injury cases such as truck accidents, wrongful death, product liability, and medical malpractice. This laser focus allows Scott to give each client the individual attention and advice they deserve.
And it’s paid off—he’s successfully handled multiple cases involving catastrophic sports injuries, prompting the defendants to make nationwide safety changes to avoid future lawsuits.
What’s more, with a brain-injury survivor in his own immediate family, Perry is well-aware of the challenges families face—which is why he’s a longtime supporter and volunteer for Brain Injury Services, an organization dedicated to helping brain-injured children and adults build needed skills.
Scott, his wife JoAnn, and their two young children live in Northern Virginia. In his free time, Perry is an avid exercise enthusiast—though his favorite physical activity will always remain hiking with his family.
Certified Civil Trial Law - National Board of Trial Advocacy
Attorney Scott M. Perry has been recognized as one of the Super Lawyers® in 2008-2023.
Member - The Inner Circle of Advocates
The Inner Circle of Advocates is a lifetime membership by invitation only of the top 100 trial lawyers in the country.
- J.D., Catholic University, Columbus School of Law, cum laude (1997)
- B.S., Rutgers University, Cook College, with honors, Environmental and Business Economics (1994)
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Fourth, Fifth and Eleventh Courts
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Partner, Perry Charnoff, PLLC
- Clerk to the Honorable Henry F. Greene in the District of Columbia Superior Court
Awards & Honors
- Listed, Lawdragon – 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers (2023)
- Inner Circle of Advocates – Member Since 2021
- Board Certification in Civil Trial Law by NBTA
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year, 2019
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell® (Highest recognized)
- Best Lawyers in America (Personal Injury Litigation and Professional Malpractice), 2014
- Top Attorneys in Virginia, 2014
- Virginia Super Lawyers® – “Super Lawyer” (2008 – 2023)
- Baltimore & Washington DC’s, Top Lawyers, 2012
- Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, DC, Board of Governors (former)
- Trial Lawyers Association of Virginia
- Maryland Association of Justice
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- Board of Governors for the Virginia Military Law Section of the Bar
- Prince George’s County Bar Association
- Arlington County Bar Association
- Board Certification in Civil Trial Law by NBTA
Publications & Presentations
- Co-authored the article “How to Plead, Prove, and Obtain Punitive Damages in Virginia,” published in the Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association (Volume 26 Number 2, 2016).
- Presented “When Should You Consider Suing a Senior Care Facility?” to the Arlington County Bar Association Elder Law Section in June 2016.
- Brain Injury Services
- Overlook Medical Center/Caregiver Center
We are personal injury attorneys
Fill out our contact form to speak to our experienced Virginia trial attorneys. Breit Biniazan has helped recover millions of dollars in cases. Learn how we can help you today.